Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Calling All Moms

Ok all you mothers out there, and I know most of you looking at this are, I need some help with a sleepless child. Don't get me wrong, she isn't awake all of the time, I just can't seem to get her to stay asleep very long at nap time and she still wakes to eat during the night or just to be awake. She doesn't seem to follow the rules in the books like my other two did, so I could really use some tried and true suggestions. Olivia does great at putting herself to sleep in her crib for nap time and bed time, but she always seem to wake at very random times either to eat (wich is usually the case) or just to jabber for awhile. You all know that she's a big baby and I know she is more than capable of sleeping through the night without eating and she has done it several times during her short life. Does anyone know of any other methods to try besides just letting them cry it out all night long. I know that is what we will probably have to do, but I REALLY don't look forward to it in the least bit. There's got to be anther way, so if you could take a minute and give me some suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Sleepless in Moscow

5 comments:

jillian said...

Jenny, I can't believe someone else has a baby doing the same thing as cy(almost). He would wake up every 2 hrs from 11pm to 6am and eat a full nursing. I have gotten him to sleep longer by choosing which wake up times to phase out and giving a bink ( i've also read giving less and less formula) and holding him less ( a few min less every day or two). eventually I wouldn't pick him up, just bink and lay back down.. he stopped waking every 2 hrs eventually. now it is 11, 3:30 6:30-it was 1:20,2:30 and 5:30 last week- I don't know why he does this, but at 9 mo he should be able to sleep 6 hrs. he even goes to bed at 7pm. good luck!

Camile said...

Dear Sleepless in Moscow,
I don't know what to say! You can come sleep on our couch while Jordan listens to her cry through the night if you want. Too bad she won't take a binky (maybe you could duct tape one to her face). I don't know, I'm out of ideas, good luck!

Shawna said...

I wish I had some good advice for you..I should but I don't. It just seems that every baby is so different that you just try and try new things till something finally works. When all else fails I cry and Curt deals with the baby. He does much better listening to the baby cry. I definitely think letting them cry is the best method. stuff her up before bed and wear earplugs! good luck! if something works let us know.

Ty and Jenn said...

The only thing that worked for Luke was to let him cry. He was about 4 1/2 months and I was tired of getting up in the middle of the night to nurse him. He, like Olivia was a very healthy plump baby so I knew he didin't need food. So when we got back from our trip to California Ty and I closed his door and our door and let him cry it out. I think it only took 2nights before he was sleeping on his own. Good luck with whatever you try.

Shawna said...

Jenny, I want you to be a contributor on my new blog..let me know if you are interested.